German Shepherds Forum banner

My GSD pup seems small

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Ada.tedder13 
#1 ·
My I was told my GSD is 8 weeks old born April 3. But she seems so small my husband keeps saying he thinks she might be mixed but I saw both or her parents and they looked pure bread. I'm gonna try to attach a video of her playing with my 25 lbs beagle. Please tell me if she looks about the right size! Dog Canidae Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

See less See more
#8 ·
I think there's a possibility the breeder was not honest about the age of the pups & sold you a pup that was 4-6 weeks old.

If that's not the cae & she is close to 8 weeks that does seem small.

Has she been to the vet yet? Vets can usually tell the age.

Can you post a better picture of her? A head shot & clear full body shot.

#12 ·
Ziva was 4.8 lbs. at 7 weeks. She in now 57.7 lbs. at 14.5 months. I worried, too. Everyone here reassured me they are all different. With good food and lots of TLC your pup will grow just fine.
Just don't over feed trying to "make" the pup grow faster. It will cause health problems down the road. Find the best quality food you can afford and feed her based on the bag.
For help finding a good kibble :
Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

Check out the puppy section here on the forum. Lots of good advice for all areas there.

Oh, and cute pup!

#13 ·
I got my pup young, by 5wks when I took her to the vet she was 4lbs...I also had to bottle feed her nearly the first two weeks I had her. So I probably gave her a good bit more than she needed by being worried about her age weight and nutrition she lacked from mother. I took her to the vet the other day at 10wks she's coming in at 19.8lbs

Below is a little timeline photo of the first month I had my GSD. Hope you feel better about your dog now. It looks like a beautiful one, apparently people seem to think these dogs are a bit lean sometimes. My mother always jumps onto me when she visits that my dog isnt eating enough. Oh if she only saw how much my girl eats!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.