German Shepherds Forum banner

Elbow callous???

9K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
-___- OK - so Anna is a 9 month old working line (who I very we'll exercised) BUT has always eatin any bedding I put in her crate, since like, day one of bringing her home. She ate 3 beds and a few blankets, so I came to the conclusion she can't have a bed in her crate. She is crated at night, and a few hours while I'm at work (my boyfriend his home with her during the day and will only crate her when he needs a break or when he goes in to the office)

I noticed 2 days ago that she is starting to get those callas's on her elbows! :( my puppy is getting pressure sores??? So I put a bed in her crate.... Annnnd.... It was torn to shreds, fluff everywhere! My concern is that she will get a blockage from eating dog beds and the fact that her beds are around 50.00

Has anyone ever had a dog with these? What can I do? Any tips to keep her from eating her bed?

This was the scene of the crime Cage Canidae Dog Cat Animal shelter

Animal shelter Canidae Dog Dog breed Dog crate
Animal shelter Canidae Dog Dog breed Dog crate

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#6 ·
I have had them on dogs before and not sure why I have not on the last three dogs who all spent the night in their crates with no bedding for the same reason.....2 of hte 3 were very active WL dogs.

The only callouses I get are on the outside of the lower leg below the hock (and all of my dogs have gotten some there) and musher's secret helps keep them at bay. Maybe it would help the elbows?

#8 ·
++ on the Kurunda. I don't have one in the crate but it is the only one my dog has not destroyed or even dented. Don't get a cheap knock off. It is the design that prevents them from getting ahold of the fabric.

#19 ·
Anna gets Canidae Pure, no sugars corn wheat or soy, only 8 ingredients (the pure line is very very clean) so it's not her food he's high drive working line and she's my IPO dog so I need we energy to be this way I LOVE her excitement.

When she is in her crate she always has a bone, normally more then one, he doesn't try to escape or cry to get out she goes in when asked no issue at all, she is fully crate trained- she just eats plush, she always has haha Anna has zero soft dog toys, she can and will swallow them/shred them. She's been that way since day one, now she only gets toys when we work so that they are special.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#17 ·
I measured the crate tray and cut a piece of leftover carpet to fit. It's not as soft as a bed but kept Finder from getting pink elbows (his fur is white). A lil double sided sticky tape and we were in business. Might be a cheaper way to go than constantly buying bedding.

#18 ·
My dog ate one crate bed and I did not replace it. He did not ingest the bedding though. Just shredded it.

Today I noticed he took the blanket out of my small dog's crate, but he did not tear it up. He just left it outside of the crate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.