German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Update to 20 mo. old GSD w/tumor-Probable Brown Recluse Bite!
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
jafo220
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnln View Post
Vet called this AM with the biopsy results. He really thought that it was either a histiocytoma or mast cell tumor, BUT it turned out to be a spider bite!

He thinks it is probably from a brown recluse.

I am so grateful that I went to the emergency vet and didn't wait until the next day. I am generally a 'wait and see' type and although this didn't appear to be 'life threatening' it looked odd and came on so quickly that I didn't wait.
I have never seen anything quite like it.

This weekend we are going to get everyone out of here, including the dogs, and spray everywhere there could be spiders hiding.
If it is what he said it was, spraying only kills the spiders food source and not the spider itself. If you think you have an infestation of Brown Recluses, my advice would either be get an exterminator involved or do a to of research on them so you understand how to control the situation. Glue traps are used a lot for this but you have to know where to deploy them for effectiveness. At least this is my understanding when dealing with these spiders. Be careful with fogging and spraying indoors. My supervisor was an exterminator previously. I can get some pointers from him if your interested.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jafo220 is online now   Reply With Quote