German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Black Listed To Buy?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Anubis_Star
Elite Member

I agree with you you should get what you want in a dog, physically and mentally. Coateds are harder to come by in the WL world. Really your best bet is to get first pick of a repeat breeding that has thrown Coateds before for the highest chance of getting one.

But what if the single coated in the breeding is low drive? I think it is your every right to want to look elsewhere. But I've yet to know a breeder that will refund a deposit if you move from the litter. Perhaps they'll move your deposit to another litter.

No I don't think you wanting a coated dog is wrong. Plenty of WL dogs produce them. Berlin has several coated full siblings. But maybe it's the way you asked (demanded?) For it? You can't guarantee a black sable coated female with high drive, for example. That's just going to be hard to find. Berlin's litter had a black sable coated female. The next breeding had a red sable coated male.

I did not want a black or bicolor dog, I've had my heart set on a sable for YEARS and I was paying good money. I would of been willing to walk away from the litter I was on hold for if that was all that was available. And I probably would of lost my deposit. Actually, I'm 99% certain berlins breeder would of moved my deposit. But I can't guarantee that. And you can't count on that.

Maybe there's another reason the breeder didn't think you were a good fit? I know several breeders that have numerous ddr/Czech breedings and I can't imagine they would do something like that just because you stated you wanted a coated dog.

All you can do is be honest to the breeder,

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz