German Shepherds Forum banner

My puppy hates me?

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Ace GSD 
#1 ·
So I have a two year old female beagle, Harper , and just got a 7 week old german shepherd, Ada, that is also a female. They get along great, but I don't feel like the Ada is attached to me. I try to hold Ada and love on her and she just fights me and cries. What am I doing wrong? I didn't have this problem with Harper. I've only had Ada for 4 days. I thought most new puppies wanted to be loved?

#2 ·
Ada sounds like she is being a normal GSD pup. Busy, exploring, not wanting to be held back. Plus remember, you have had her only 4 days. Right now she is still in this new place, with this new human, big changes for a young pup.

Begin building the bond between you with training and play. Look up engagement on here, do a search for Micheal Ellis and engagement.

Read through the full puppy sub-forum on here. You will be amazed at just how much information you will find.

#3 ·
I thought the same thing when I brought my GSD puppy home. And the more I read and talked to people I learned that's just normal for a GSD. She is getting much better though but she isn't all that affectionate. You have to learn to appreciate the little things they do that show you they love you. Give it time.

#6 ·
Thanks. I feel like she more attached to Harper than she is me. I grew up around GSD but I was young and they were outside dogs and I can't remember who they were.
That's how it is. Puppies bond most with other dogs in the household at first. She'll bond to you too, don't worry. :)

#10 ·
Sounds about right.....The GSDs I have had over the decades support most of what you are saying....especially the " they don't just freely love you for no reason. The dog has to have a reason to trust and respect you "....I am an advocate that most all dogs crave a leader....and GSDs are a bit more demanding in this department.....but once you fulfill their "requirements" in the leader department....you have a dog which will go through heII with you by your side....

SuperG

#12 ·
My GSD pup fights me doesn't want to be held or kissed she'll nip me ,groan, struggle away so it seems to be fairly normal of the breed. My dog does all this but I still have a video of her saying momma in my latest thread on this site. So just like my dog I'm sure yours loves you and has it's own specail attachment they just don't show it the way some pups do,

#16 ·
Fawn was aloof to me as well and would rather follow my older dog around. However my older dog is aloof to her in return, so it works for us. I worked hard on engagement with her and now she follows me around and I can't even go into the restroom without her. She's only snuggles when she first wakes up or late at night when she's tired.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#17 ·
I feel the same exact way. But the other day I went to the vet where my 5 month old just got her spay done at and the nurse had to take her to the back and she fought her all the way to the back. So I patiently waited outside and grabbed a snack and when she came out she came straight for me and of course I had to get that treat in. Because we are of course their everything right?

BTW. I think my 5 month old wants to eat me sometimes

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.