German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Fama hips and spine
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
gsdsar

Default Fama hips and spine

The hips are well seated, with greater than 50% coverage. There is thickening of the neck and flattening of the femoral head. What I would expect from a working dog after years of working.

There is arthritic bridging at LS. Again very common in working dogs and GSD in general. But I have seen much worse.

Of course I was trained to treat the dog not the X-rays. So watch how she moves and gets along.

With the LS, you may see problems posturing to defecate. That's where I saw it first with my girl. She became a poop walker, and did not fully posture as she got older. It can also make the slower to rise and cause soreness after strenuous activity.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Edit to add: I also see the beginnings of arthritic change cranially in the lumbar vertebra, I think it's L3-L4. But I am not great at remembering how many lumbar vert there are. If you look at the vertebra towards the head that gets cut off in the X-ray, there are obvious protrusions on them. There are on all the seen vertebra, but much more pronounced in those.

Last edited by gsdsar; 05-21-2014 at 07:05 PM.
gsdsar is online now   Reply With Quote