German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Will IPO trained dogs bite without sleeve?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
hunterisgreat
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman1stclass View Post
If the answer is no, how hard is it to switch over to I guess personal protection. Are hidden sleeves ever used in IPO training and why can't you just mix the two (IPO/PP).
Almost none will. This is by design though. A bite anywhere but the sleeve can get you DQ'ed or banned. IPO dogs are strongly discouraged from ever biting anything but that jute sleeve, and even then a specific part of that sleeve only.

How hard is it to switch? Depends on the dog and your (helper and you) collective training abilities & equipment.

Most probably train only with the sleeves, jute pillows/wedges. Some (like myself) train with hidden sleeves... and suits, and muzzles, and no equipment (no bite obviously). I personally want personal protection dogs first and foremost, and IPO dogs as time, training, and opportunity allows. So, you can certainly mix the two with the right training and the right dog.

The above being said, I believe most IPO dogs unsuitable for personal protection work. Topic for another thread though lol
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1

Last edited by hunterisgreat; 05-21-2014 at 05:23 PM.
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote