German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - House Training an Adult Rescue
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
PugLogic

Default House Training an Adult Rescue

Hi all,

As some of you know, we lost our white shepherd Eddie in March. He was 15, and we had rescued him at 2. He had a good, long, loved life and though we miss him terribly, we are through the worst of it.

We'd like to honor him by beginning to foster other dogs through the same network where we found him. One is a white shepherd (mix, see below) that has been in a no-kill shelter for 4 years. Yep, years. We've spoken to several people familiar with her, and she seems like a very sweet girl, good with other dogs, smart as a whip, and has a lot of potential if someone can just get her out of there. I asked why she'd been overlooked for so long, and they mentioned they have 350 other dogs! Yikes.

We're really like to give this girl a chance, and I think bringing her here, to our dog-loving mountain town, might help her find a forever home.

Anyway, one of the apprehensions I have is housebreaking a dog that's basically lived her whole life in a kennel.

Has anyone been through the adventure of housebreaking an adult shepherd for the first time? Any thoughts or tips? We do have a crate and a good high-fenced yard.

Thanks so much,
Margaret
Attached Thumbnails
House Training an Adult Rescue-lily-home-small-14.jpg  

Last edited by PugLogic; 05-20-2014 at 12:30 PM.
PugLogic is offline   Reply With Quote