German Shepherds Forum banner

10 week old not really interested in eating.

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Madisonmj97 
#1 ·
My 10 week old puppy went from devouring her food to not even being interested in eating. She will eat some if I put some cooked chicken in her bowl. But she still doesn't eat all of it. Should I switch foods maybe. Or put some can dog food in her bowl?
I am feeding her royal canin right now. Any suggestions would be great.

#2 ·
Seems odd...with all the growing those 10 week old pups do, you'd think they'd be eating no matter what brand you put in front of them.

I'm curious....will she eat the kibble from your hand, like they are treats?

SuperG

#5 ·
That's interesting....my last GSD would pretty much only eat her meals if I was right next to her....so I just continued with it...she'd eat her meals in the TV room with her bowl by my easy chair and dinners in the same place. In the beginning, if I left her food bowl out in the kitchen and left, she would hardly touch it..as soon as I moved it to the TV room next to me..she'd enjoy the entire meal...always wondered if my close proximity might have made her feel she needs to eat otherwise I might eat it.....and she NEVER exhibited any overt food aggression whatsoever....maybe she was just a social eater ...LOL

Maybe someone knows what this means, when a dog is more apt to eat while someone is with them.

I guess if your pup eats while in your presence and it makes you feel better ( it would for me)...then run with it.

SuperG

#6 ·
Yes. I have thought about it. When I would put her food down and walk away she wouldn't touch it. But today for her dinner I put her food down and pulled a chair up and she are every bit of it. She would glance up and make sure I was there and clean her bowl. And she's not good protective whatsoever. I can reach in and mix her food up and she keeps eating like I'm not even there. So I guess I will be sitting with her while she eats. Which doesn't bother me at all.

#8 ·
So this morning I get up at 5am like normal and get her out of her crate and take her outside to go to the bathroom. Come in and make her breakfast and she will only eat it out of my hand. I will tap on her bowl and show her the food but she just looks at me waiting to grab a handful and feed it to her.

Any ideas what's up with that?

#11 ·
I have a 14 month old that has been doing the same thing...her interest is on checking on her toys and bones when she gets up NOT on eating. I just feed her later ( that's an option for me) She isn't interested in food at all until at least 8 am and that's even getting up at 6am and squeezing in a short nap or two ..and a romp around the yard.

I have to mix a bit of wet blue buffalo in with her dry. AND she has to eat by me. This has been going on for months now...so I just figure it's her quirk and I deal with it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.