German Shepherds Forum banner

Frustrated.

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 ·
My puppy is now right at 10 weeks old. And she was awesome on off leash walks and being outside would always come when called. Then today she decides to not pay a bit of attention to me calling her and when I went to go pick her up and bring her inside she got upset by that and started biting anything she could get her teeth on. So I brought her inside put her collar and leash on her and took her for a long walk around my neighborhood. And now she's acting "mad" at me like I have somehow broken her trust.

Basically I'm just venting on here.

#3 · (Edited)
She has no business being off leash at this age, and doing what she wants. It is the time to bond with you, and you have to show the dog that you are the source of all things fun, not the fun interrupter.

Everything she likes and wants has to come from you.
You need to keep her leashed or on a long line, and when you want her to come, you tug a bit on the leash and she comes to you no matter what. You cannot teach her that she can blow you off by leaving her unleashed and to her own devices.

As for being the Buzzsaw, yeah, it starts around that age and doesn't get better until after about five months, provided you have tried and tried to train and redirect and taught her that teeth should not be on your skin.

Puppies are a lot of work, German Shepherd ones are a ton of work. At this age, there's a lot of investment on your part, but you'll reap the rewards later if you persevere. Getting frustrated at this point does no good for either you or your dog.
Instead of taking her on the boring long walk as punishment, play with your puppy. Get a little tug, have her grab it and play with you. Get a squeaky toy, get her interested, get a ball and toss it. Get treats and teach her how to sit and how to look at you and focus. Talk to her in a confident and encouraging voice. Make her feel that she can rely on and trust you.
Research the training threads on this forum, and learn how to engage your puppy and convince her that you are the coolest thing on the planet.

#4 ·
Thanks for the feed back guys. I guess I really liked the fact she came to me off leash no matter what. But I will keep her on the leash from now on. I know it's work and I play with her ALL the time. I am reading everything I can and practicing everything I can. That's why I am on this forum. You guys are awesome.

#5 ·
You are welcome. Your puppy was following you no matter what because she was new and unsure of herself. Take this new independence as a good thing, because that means that now she has confidence and feels comfortable enough to go exploring. You want a dog that is bonded to you, but not a clingy dog who doesn't have any self-assurance.

There really are no shortcuts with GSD puppies. You either put in the work, or you don't have a very obedient dog. There always comes a point, or several points, when your dog will test the limits, and you have to be there to provide the leadership and be the benevolent dictator.

Otherwise, these dogs will blow you off and will take charge and will not be very fun to live with.
Mine is well over two, and he still sometimes tests me to see what he can get away with.:wild: Which makes it all the sweeter for me it when he does behave and does do what I have worked so hard to teach him to do.
Hang in there, it's worth it.

#7 ·
The key to off leash is having a safe area to do so, not really age of the puppy. I off leash walk a good amount, where safe & not a bother to others. I prefer to 'call' with body language, which may just be facing a different direction, bending down, a short whistle.

The dog should look back at you often to que for direction. If they range out a ways, hide behind a tree to 'call' the dog in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.