German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Does the dog park era come to an end?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bonzay

Default Does the dog park era come to an end?

I browsed through the forum a couple weeks ago and found various posts about GSDs in dog parks. I've been taking Bonnie to the dog park ever since she was 3 months old, and I was surprised to read that many owners were against them.

We've always had a great time and people were very tolerant. In fact, I think they laughed at me and said "Don't worry, that's how they play" when I interrupted playtime because I thought it was getting too rough. I just want(ed) to be on the safe side and stop a possible fight before it happens.

So, Bonnie is 5.5 months old now and we still go to the park everyday. She plays really well with other dogs (unless there's a toy or a stick, which I immediately remove) and enjoys chasing them, but lately she starts to growl and nip after a while of chasing them. Bonnie is not a vocal dog, at least not yet, and the growling is usually an indicator for me that she's getting cranky. First I thought she was getting frustrated because she can't keep up with the other dogs, but I'm not sure that's the case anymore. There's one dog in particular, a Shepherd-Husky mix, she keeps pestering and luckily he's a sweetheart and doesn't start a fight with her.

Today, however, she was after a puppy as soon as he started running, but they played nicely after I put her in a timeout. Still, I don't know how far I want to go, and I wonder if I should take a break or just stop going to the dog park. Is her behavior appropriate for that age?
Bonzay is offline   Reply With Quote