German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Shepherd and Small Dog
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
jrennie15

Default Shepherd and Small Dog

Hi everyone!

I have been lurking on this board for a while, while I have been looking for a shepherd puppy. I have joined to ask everyone for their expert advice

Soo… I have a Pomeranian right now that doesn't know when to back down or shut his mouth. This is something that we have worked on for years with him and he is much better than he was but still thinks he is top dog with other dogs.

I really have my heart set on a GSD but I am VERY nervous that a Shepherd might not put up with my Pom and all it would take would be one bite, which could seriously hurt or kill him. I wanted to ask your advice and whether you guys think this could work? Ultimately I know the "solution" will have to be in training the shepherd, cause it isn't going to come from the Pom. I have read many shepherds have high prey drive or possible aggression issues with smaller animals.

I don't want you guys to think I am unable to handle a Pom so why am I getting a GSD. The Pom came from a very bad situation in a rescue where he did not get enough to eat and had to fight other dogs for food. He used to food and toy guard, which he doesn't do anymore. Overall he is a really good dog but seems to have "security" issues when he is around big dogs.

Thank you in advance for all of your help! I appreciate it

J
jrennie15 is offline   Reply With Quote