German Shepherds Forum banner

Layering Training Methods.

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jafo220 
#1 ·
I crossed this in other threads. Layering training methods. Is this a viable method in itself? I've heard of layering prong collars and e-collars but what about layering positive reinforcement methods in with a prong or in with e-collar? Or would this be confusing for the dog?

I know there are some who have tried or done or do this. If so, give some descriptions of layering. Scenarios would be interesting.

Objective views are also welcome.

I'm not having any issues with training. This just peaks my curiosity.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
I do it all the time. For example teaching the sit. You could teach a sit with a treat over the head and when the dogs but hits the ground mark or click and then give food. Or you could put a prong collar on and say sit pull upward on the leash and then release all pressure when the dog commits to the sit or completes it. Or you can do a combination of the two where you say sit upward pressure and as soon as the dog commits to the sit you mark or click yes and then give food. The layering of negative and positive reinforcement is much stronger teaches a stronger behavior and does it faster.

Now a problem you might run into is a dog that once under pressure doesn't want to take food. It happens. Isn't something you start with on every dog necessarily, but it's usually something that can be worked up to. Generally if you have a hungry dog and you're tactful it isn't an issue.

#7 ·
NePoPo from Schutzhund-Training.com - Training Theory & Definitions

NEPOPO®: This is a method developed by renowned trainer Bart Bellon, using negative reinforcement together with positive reinforcement. It is an effective method of training and uses very low levels of electric collar stimulation applied as a command is given (-ve NE), the stimulation is continued until the dog performs the behavior (+ve PO), once the behavior is performed, the dog is rewarded (+ve PO). So the dog is essentially reinforced twice for the behavior, once by the cessation of the stimulation, and then again by the reward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.