German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - So proud of my boy, Syd!!
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
intothevoiddd

Default So proud of my boy, Syd!!

We got him at 7 weeks, he is now 8. Had him for a little over a week and a half now. The first week he wasn't thrilled about learning commands, but once we found out he's food driven he has been a working machine. He has already mastered "come", "sit", "stay", and "down" in just a few days!

That isn't the point of this thread though. He very very quickly learned that he likes to potty outside. I think he got that in the first 2 days we had him home. It was obvious to catch when he had to go potty, he would start sniffing around and we'd grab him and run out the door, but when you aren't paying 100% attention you can't always catch it in time. I wanted to train him to cry/whine at the door when he wanted out, but realized bell training would probably a better solution. Since he's so young I didn't expect anything out of it, but figured might as well start early so he gets the idea. We bought the bell yesterday evening and started teaching "touch", which he picked up after about 10-15 times of giving him the command.

So this morning we put the bell by the door and have taken him out maybe 3-4 times and made him ring the bell each time. I'm sitting here working and he is quietly chewing a bone, I wasn't even paying attention to him, just sort of making sure he isn't getting into any trouble. All of a sudden he jumps up and runs to the door and hits his bell. I was like, no way, did he get it?!?! And the answer is **** YES HE GOT IT!! I let him out and apparently he had to go bad because he went straight to it as soon as he hit the door.

I am amazed and what his little brain can do. I am a first time GSD owner and he is just... outstanding!
intothevoiddd is offline   Reply With Quote