German Shepherds Forum banner

13 week old puppy still whining in crate.....

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Diesel7602 
#1 ·
He goes in absolutely perfectly at night time, no fuss, no whining...straight to sleep.

However, daytime is a different story! We have two crates, one upstairs in the bedroom for night time and one downstairs for daytime (napping, relaxing in and time out etc).

I mean, he doesn't whine and cry as much as some puppies I've read about, but he barks non-stop. Especially if he can't see me. I've yet to be able to go out and leave him at home alone without him barking the house down (we filmed him)...I need it to stop because I don't want him stressing out and annoying all the neighbors!

It;s not like he hates his crate, because he goes in and out of it willingly during the day, taking toys in and having treats in it. I've also tried leaving him in there with a kong...he's just not interested! Nothing can distract him when he's in there even when I know he's tired. Sometimes I'm lucky, and he'll go to sleep without barking, but the majority of the time he just barks like crazy. Is this normal for him to still be whining in it, we've had him forr just over a month now and we've been crate training from the very beginning.

Do I just need to let him whine and eventually he'll learn? I make sure to not give him any attention or let him out the crate when he's whining.....ONLY when he's quiet I will let him out or give him a treat and say "niice quiet".

See less See more
#3 ·
Mine whines if he's in the crate and the door to his room is open so he can see that people are there. He doesn't whine if the door is closed. I usually ooze over and close the door, if I've put him to bed because I'm heading to bed but haven't made it to my room yet. I don't trust him loose in that room yet (computer room with multiple computers, printer, etc.), but he can't sleep in my room because the old dog is there and will not hush growling, snarling at Varik if he's in sight.

#4 ·
Mine sleeps in the crate fine at night. Moves around and whines a bit when she wants to go out to take a leak in the middle of the night.

Daytime, refuses to be inside it for a long period of time unless I'm feeding treats. If the treats stop, and I disappear from the room, then the whining and crying begins.

If I go back into the room, she's quiet again.

#5 ·
That is exactly what Finnick does! I'm just trying to think of how I can get him to not whine with me not in the room :\ if only he loved his crate as much during the day as he does in the night!

#8 ·
Its normal for pups to be whiny in crate until they become more independant. Getting them to love being in the crate helps speed the process. If you feed on a schedule feed him in his crate. Lure him in with the food, immediatly after he goes in say kennel and feed him. Do the same with treats, eventually he will go in crate on command. Now to get him quite and comfortable being in the crate for longer periods giv him sumthin to do. Get a tasty bone, lure him in say kennel and giv it to him. He will stay busy chewing on bone and forget all about wanting out lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.