German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - increase drive during OB??
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Liz&Anna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I would really need to see what she is doing. Most of the time, except in the case with dogs that lack a desire to work with their handler, the dogs get bored and lose drive because the handler/training is boring. Does your friend use a lure so the dog is working for the reward or do they pop out the toy, give food/praise, at random times (I tend to use it for best effort or if I know the dog can go flat in a certain sport) so the dog is working to earn the reward? There is a huge difference. Too many trainers do the former (which is why crazy toy driven dogs are favored in OB) instead of the latter. If done right a dog should build drive and get pushier throughout the routine.

I would crate the dog before training and afterwards. Otherwise, no, I do not believe in creating drive through deprivation. There are better ways to achieve things.
She will ask for fuss walk a bit and I will spot- the SECOND he lifts his front legs a bit higher (looking happy) she will pull the tug out and reward right away. WE were going to try switching for a bit and having me handle him to see if he looks better with me, but haven't tried that yet. I just couldn't believe how mad her trainer got when she found out we used a tug, they basically had a big argument about it! All I've ever heard from my trainer was to play so I thought it would help, her argument was "you aren't going to have to toy on trial day" and my friend replied with....I won't have treats on trial day either (LOL)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote