German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - increase drive during OB??
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would really need to see what she is doing. Most of the time, except in the case with dogs that lack a desire to work with their handler, the dogs get bored and lose drive because the handler/training is boring. Does your friend use a lure so the dog is working for the reward or do they pop out the toy, give food/praise, at random times (I tend to use it for best effort or if I know the dog can go flat in a certain sport) so the dog is working to earn the reward? There is a huge difference. Too many trainers do the former (which is why crazy toy driven dogs are favored in OB) instead of the latter. If done right a dog should build drive and get pushier throughout the routine.

I would crate the dog before training and afterwards. Otherwise, no, I do not believe in creating drive through deprivation. There are better ways to achieve things.
Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote