German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Dog Reacts to Other Dogs and Some People.
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
CharlieB.Barkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
Then the first suggestion is have an eval done. Determine what you are dealing with. Could be anything from over excitement to fear aggression. Without seeing the dog in action, his body language, there isn't a way to give good advice on what to do.

I will make one suggestion however. Things like the soccer games, you seem to be able to predict when your dog will act out. Leave before he reaches that point. Also, keep the leash loose meaning no tension on it.

For the eval, locate a trainer experienced in aggression. Verify the experience and verify they are experienced in large working breeds - even better if GSD experience. You don't want the yank and crank variety, what you are looking for is a balanced approach.
I know for certain that it's no aggression. If I had to throw it in a category, I could confidently say this it's over excitement. He has other things that will trigger excitement, but I can accurately predict them. With the dog and some strangers, I find it difficult to predict when he will start acting out. I must have misunderstood your first post. He has zero history of aggression but the rap sheet for him losing control because he is excited is incredibly extensive.
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote