German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - don't get it Harley the gsd...reptiles
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Castlemaid
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

LOL, Anubis - that is exactly how I used to feel about dogs (though, fortunately for Gryff and Keeta, I've changed. ).

I've mostly kept cats, fish, small animals, birds as pet. But I did have a California King Snake, that I was more attached to than I realized, after he went missing and turned up dead in the back field.

The attraction was just the shear beauty of the animal, and the fascination of learning and figuring out his daily and seasonal behavioural cycles. The pride and satisfaction of knowing that I was doing a good job of keeping him healthy and happy, as he ate, shed, and grew from a 12 inch yearling snake to a five foot mature adult.

Many people are attracted to GSDs because of their wolfy look. They find that bringing a bit of the untamed wild into their lives adds a new dimension to their way of being, and satisfies a deep need to connect to the natural world. That is how I felt about having a snake, getting to know him, feeling that connection.

Just have to say, that a five-foot long animal that survives and thrives with no limbs at all is just the coolest thing! It was like a natural miracle, and kept me full of awe.

Plus, he brumated six months out of 12, and only ate once every one or two weeks when active, so a pretty easy keeper. Who can complain about that?

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote