German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Our new GSD
Thread: Our new GSD
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chasewg

Default Our new GSD

A month ago we adopted the best puppy I have ever had, the people we got her from said she had a clean bill of health, and that she was up to date on vaccinations. We had two amazing weeks with our little girl, Ellie, then out of the blue she stopped eating. Vomited once. Then laid down and wouldn't move.

I immediately took her to the vet, they did a parvovirus test and it came back positive. He then did a normal exam, and then informed us she had gaping holes in her heart, to make sure we got an X-Ray, and low and behold she did. The vet was very patient with us and let us know about all of our options. In Utah there is no veterinary cardiologists. We would have had to take her to UC Davis for the operation that "might" work. All of that IF she pulled through the parvovirus in her very weakened condition.

We made the decision to put her to sleep, I have never had to do that in my life, and frankly it is the hardest thing I have ever done.

It's been 2 weeks and today my husband gave me my early birthday present: a four month old All black Purebred German shepherd puppy. I am taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow.

I have done a ton of research on taking care of GSD but any tips or tricks would be appreciated. She is house broken, can sit, and comes when we call her. Thanks!
Chasewg is offline   Reply With Quote