German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Last Minute Puppy Questions!
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
placeshifter

Default Last Minute Puppy Questions!

I'm getting my first GS puppy tomorrow. She'll be 8 weeks old. And I'm a little bit nervous.

I read "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete as a primer and really enjoyed the book.

It states that for the first night, the puppy may want to sleep next to your bed. It also states that I should leash the puppy next to my bed (for house training purposes) for the first night. And to hush the puppy if she starts to cry in the middle of the night.

1. But how can I tell whether she's crying because it's her first night away from her mother and litter, or if she's crying because she needs to go pee/poo?

2. I also got a transport crate which the book recommends for house training --the Gulliver 7 (Dog Kennel Gulliver: Great Deals on Dog Carriers at zooplus) I put a dog blanket in there. Its size is 104 x 73 x 75 cm.

However, I read that having such a big crate may prevent house training as the puppy will just poo/pee in the corner and still sleep inside it.

Is this size too big for a 8 week old puppy? Should I try to block off half of it with a box or some other type of big object?

Any thoughts and tips on the first 1-2 weeks would be greatly appreciated!
placeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote