German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - The best decision I ever made.
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 03:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kiitsu

Smile The best decision I ever made.

I just feel like telling Thor's currently short, but hopefully ultimately long, story here.

Thor was an impulse buy for me. I love dogs, and I had wanted a german shepherd for my entire life, and I finally had the time and money to get one. So, I found a puppy online, deemed him perfect, and got him all within 3 weeks. I am in college, and I put off all my homework going crazy doing research to prepare myself for him. I spent literally every waking hour researching what I needed to do for those weeks.

I still wasn't prepared. I went overboard, and sacrificed my life for him the first week I brought him home. He was clingy, needy, and having accidents all over the place. He cried endlessly in his crate. It was overwhelming and I thought I had taken on too much. I felt so stupid, and I had almost deemed it necessary to give up on him. It made me feel terrible and I was a complete wreck over it. Even though he overwhelmed me, I loved him so much. I had never felt so loved by an animal in my entire life.

After a lot of thinking, I decided that I needed to wait and give him a chance. And I am so, so glad that I did. Thor is now being a normal, crazy handful of a puppy and I wouldn't want it any other way. He is still extremely shy, but nothing some extensive socializing can't fix. He has no more accidents, and he listens to me very well.

But most of all, he completely brightened up my life. I was going through a lot of rough things, and I was just incapable of being happy. Nothing seemed to work, I had too much going on in my head. Thor erased all that. I go through each day knowing that I will come home to a happy puppy that will always be there for me no matter what. A dog that will always make me smile with his silly antics...and his endearing trait of following me everywhere. I already can't imagine my life without him, and it's only been a few weeks. It is amazing what having a dog can do. I am so glad I didn't give up on Thor, and I am so glad I got him.
Kiitsu is offline   Reply With Quote