German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Spaying Debate
Thread: Spaying Debate
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
VailGirl

Question Spaying Debate

hello, I am new to this site, came across while looking for info on when to spay. I have a 7 month old GS and am at a crossroads as to when to spay her. Everyone has a different opinion! I spayed both of my other 2 GS dogs around 6 months. Both died at the exact same age of 11.5 of the same cancer, sarcoma of the heart and spleen. My last one, died just about 1 year ago, May 7th...in any case, she became incontinent as a young adult,, of which I've heard can be from spaying before the 1st heat. I've read many of the threads and found one where sarcomas later in life could be due to spaying to early. Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know where to find more specific facts on this topic? I would prefer not to have to deal with the heat cycle, but want to do what is best for my dog. My yard is fenced but not entirely dog-proof and I certainly don't want unexpected puppies! Her mom's 1st heat was at 10 months, so I'm hoping I have a little more time to figure this out! Leaving the country in 2 weeks for a vaca, so hoping this doesn't happen while I am gone!
Tessa 10/17/01
VailGirl is offline   Reply With Quote