German Shepherds Forum banner

My female herds!!

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  rena 
#1 ·
I dont know what that is about. She heards my male dog all the time. Hes 10 and pretty much just sits down and growls at her as she pushes him. Nipping at this heels at times to get him to go into his kennel. She's purebred ckc registered. Im wondering if anyone else's dogs do this. :confused:

Her parents looked like this.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think my boy keeps trying to herd me too, he circles me as I walk etc.....i'm not really an expert on this specific subject, so I'll wait until someone more experienced chips in and heed any advice they might give :)

#7 ·
I had a senior dog and my younger female Onyx would always herd her. I put a stop to it because it wasn't fair to my senior to be bullied like that.
Onyx does it to my other dogs too, and most often keeps Kacie from coming inside until she allows it. Karlo just blows thru it, he gets away with it, where Kacie is more submissive.

#9 ·
Our eight-month-old female herded our beagle mix every time we went for a walk together. I found the behavior strongest at three points of the walk: going out the door, the point where we made the turn to head back to the house, and going back in the door. I have found that if I give her another job to do, she leaves him alone. I give her a stick (or whatever is handy) to carry, and she's so pleased with herself for being useful that the other dog barely gets a second glance from her. So basically...redirect.

Attachments

#11 ·
In that case I will allow her to keep doing it. Seems other dogs too. Someone asked if she was an australian shepard once. I found this so this must be the real reason.

**German Shepherds are a relatively new breed of dog, with their origin dating to 1899. As part of the Herding Group, German Shepherds are working dogs developed originally for herding sheep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.