German Shepherds Forum banner

Good toys for pups, and how to gently introduce him to water?

753 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  sourdough44 
#1 ·
Title pretty much explains it all, but I am getting my boy next weekend and I am not sure what kind of toys would be good for him. I have gotten a few already that are labeled as "puppy toys", but I am thinking they probably won't last long lol. I got a textured chew bone, a standard ball, and a kong puppy bone that you can put treats/PB in. I'm not sure what else to get?

Also, how can I gently introduce the little guy to water? I would love to get him to enjoy it, and since he will be young over the summer I think it is a great opportunity. I was thinking of maybe getting a kiddie pool for him and maybe throwing some toys in it for starters. I'm not sure what age to introduce him to that idea though. Will I need to get a puppy life vest for trips to the lake/deeper water?

#2 ·
I think toys are pretty individual to the dog. I bought loads of toys for Lloyd and found he only liked a few out of the bunch, eventually you get down what they like/want.

Regarding water, I just always exposed Lloyd to it so it wasn't a big deal. Playing in the rain, making bath time fun, letting him chase the hose, the kiddie pool at the dog park. Just work it in. Lloyd finally got a full fledged swim in now that he's 11 months. I didn't have any sort of life jacket on him, but it was a pretty shallow creek with nice sloped banks.

#3 ·
Also, how can I gently introduce the little guy to water? I would love to get him to enjoy it, and since he will be young over the summer I think it is a great opportunity. I was thinking of maybe getting a kiddie pool for him and maybe throwing some toys in it for starters. I'm not sure what age to introduce him to that idea though. Will I need to get a puppy life vest for trips to the lake/deeper water?
The kiddie pool is a good start - just put in an inch of water at first and let him get used to it. I buy the cheap feeder goldfish at the pet store and put those in my dogs pool - they LOVE to chase them!!

I wouldn't bother with the life vest since he will outgrow it very quickly. Just be sure to monitor his 'water' time and make sure he comes out to rest.

#4 ·
I wouldn't spend to much $$ on a bunch of chew toys, you probably already have a bunch of stuff around the house the pup will like. Pieces of wood, sticks, and old plastic toys all work.

If you live where you can occasionally walk near friendly water I would skip the pool too. You need a fairly private place with shallow water, measured in inches. It's even better if you can wade in with the dog. Early on don't concern yourself with actually swimming, just wading through a few inches is all you need to start.

More than toys or anything, the pup wants quality time with the owners.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.