German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed: Want an apartment, I have SA dog who barks, not sure what to do!
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
VTGirlT
Master Member

Exclamation Advice needed: Want an apartment, I have SA dog who barks, not sure what to do!

So as most of you know Zelda still has SA, although it has been less barking, little to no howling, is whining there is still enough to create problems. And she has to be in a crate still, if i leave her loose in my room which i do for small periods of time once in a while, she scratches at me door and the carpet to my room where it meets the hallway (with no carpet) she intentionally or unintentionally pulls up. It goes from Zelda having good weeks and Zelda have no so great of weeks.

I did not start on her prozac because my newest vet (whom i really enjoy for the most part!) wanted to try different things. So i been going along with what he says for now, because i do believe these things will work.

But this great apartment opportunity has come up.. I would LOVE to move out, and i have a job that pays a bit better than my last two, and think this would be a wonderful apartment (its half of a big house, but two complete separate places its 2 bedroom, 2 floor) And we know the people that own the apartments, its only 1200 a month including everything , which is a fantastic price in Vermont!

However, because of Zelda's SA i haven't been able to move out to some apartment opportunities even if i had the money, because i know that she would bark and carry on when i'm away at work. And most places you would probably be able to hear her if your apartment were next to the one Zelda were in..

Any ideas what i should do? I rent a room at my parents and help out, and it works. It's just not ideal for Zelda or me and i would love to move out. My family's schedule mostly works so that Zelda does not bother the family, although sometimes it works that my family has to put up with her barking although most of them say it doesn't bother them anymore- i still feel horrible.

It kills me that she still has SA, i feel so bad for her.. I just hope those herbals start working, it just takes months and months before they really start helping her little brain.. Just like with prozac, but i then would love to start prozac so it starts to work..

I got a collar to tell me how many barks she does in a day and to do it over a period of time to see if there are particular times she barks and or particular days, unfortunately i couldn't get the software to work. But that would have been interesting.

And trust me i've tried A LOT of things with this girl for her SA!

I'm torn! Because i want to move out and there is a great opportunity of this place, but Zelda's SA could create problems right away as i know the couple who have kids live right next to that apartment, and i know i would livid if my neighbors dog were barking and it woke up my kids from there afternoon nap..

(And of course i do NOT plan on getting rid of her because of her SA- just so you all know thats not an option!)

Thanks guys!
VTGirlT is offline   Reply With Quote