German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Our pup and storm/tornado shelters

9K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  qingcong 
#1 ·
It is getting to be that time again,praying this year we get a break. We had our shelter installed in January, it is a in ground shelter in our garage. We have been slowly getting our kids used to going in the shelter so need to get Abby used to it as soon as possible since spring is quickly going to be upon us. We don't have room for her crate plus the kids and supplies. Plus I will have just minutes to get myself,her and my kids in it and the door shut. We had 10ish minutes notice on May 20th. So any ideas to teach her to go in on her own, it has nice metal stairs once the door is slid open? I have one kiddo who has to be carried down the stairs since he can't do stairs well. I figure we will get a bed to keep down there for her to lay on.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#2 ·
Good for you for being prepared. If it's fairly easy to get in and out of, I would feed her meals in it. Preface with a word "bunk up" or something and go down with her food.

You are not going to ever be in it for an extended period. Tornados don't last that long. So a crate is not needed.

And to be honest, in an extreme situation, grab her collar and push her down the steps. She don't have to like it, just get in it. LOL.

unless you are zombie apocoplyse prepper and will be living there when the dead reanimate. But if it's truly just a storm shelter.... I would feed her a bit, Make a game if going up and down the steps, but not stress too much. I would recommend having a slip leash near the door. You want a leash that won't slip over her head if she panics and backs up. Those cheap ones vets offices use, would be perfect. That way if the alarms go off, you can slip that over her head and just go, and she can't get away if she panics.

In the end it's about saving her life. So you do what you have to do.

#3 ·
We've been waiting forever for our shelter. In an interesting twist of fate, it is supposed to be installed next weekend on May 3rd. For those not from here, we had an F5 tornado in Moore on May 3, 1999. It was devastating. I was here in my house then too. We are expecting severe weather this weekend, so I'm pretty nervous.

I think we are going to make a ramp to go over part of our stairs. Getting 3 GSDs down there, especially if I'm by myself, is going to be a trick. As soon as we get it installed, I'll start working with them. I have visions of us all falling down the stairs in a tangled, broken heap. :eek:

#5 ·
We've been waiting forever for our shelter. In an interesting twist of fate, it is supposed to be installed next weekend on May 3rd. For those not from here, we had an F5 tornado in Moore on May 3, 1999. It was devastating. I was here in my house then too. We are expecting severe weather this weekend, so I'm pretty nervous.

I think we are going to make a ramp to go over part of our stairs. Getting 3 GSDs down there, especially if I'm by myself, is going to be a trick. As soon as we get it installed, I'll start working with them. I have visions of us all falling down the stairs in a tangled, broken heap. :eek:

My SIL was killed in that tornado. I had an underground shelter put in last Aug and have not been able to coax my dogs to get in. I had a ramp built and that didn't help. Before that I had wide steps put in over the ladder type steps it came with. I'm going to try covering the ramp with some indoor/outdoor carpet and see if that helps (grip). If it doesn't my last effort will be to build normal stairs. If that fails they go in the closets and under the stairwell. I hate that because I had the largest size put in so there would be room for them.

Let me know how it goes with yours and if are successful getting them in. Stay safe.

#6 ·
Yes I was going to suggest putting carpet or those rubber step mats on, you'd have to secure them. We don't have a shelter,...yet! We'd have to get an outdoor one as the garage is built in! For now it's duck and cover! As for getting in in a hurry, just have to go with throw everybody in and fix what's broke later!

#7 ·
Just wondering if anybody had or knew anyone who had the outdoor safe rooms? I know underground is best, but wondered about those. A lot of homes were just the cement slab left so I'd think a direct hit would probably take it, but for the places that the house was still standing but damaged I wonder if there were some with this type of shelter. I know a lot of damage is done by the outer fringes of the storm.

#10 ·
I really wanted an Oz Saferoom but it just wouldn't fit anywhere in my teeny, awkward backyard. The spot we are putting the underground shelter in is behind my pergola, and the safe room is just too big for that space.

#8 ·
Fortunately, it will be rare that I don't have someone around to help with the GSDs. And Sage is small enough to manhandle down the stairs, so that's a plus. The other two, well, I don't know. They've all gone up and down open stairs at motels before (dog shows) so at least they've seen stairs! We are going to make a carpeted ramp. Maybe if I bribe them with steak and wave the cat in front of them... ;)

#11 ·
And now I hear the thunder (and I don't mean our basketball team!), as the storms are moving into the metro.

I hate spring.

#12 ·
I second your opinion on spring, dogfaeries.
I remember when the 2012 tornado hit here in Arlington. I was stuck at school, but I had no idea where it was or which way it was going (I did not own a smartphone until this past August). A classmate and I were having to ask people around us what there phones, tablets etc. where telling them. It was kind of scary to hear that the tornado hit a streets that my parents and I usually go on in order to go to several places that only take us approx. 10 minutes to arrive at.
We did not have a dog at the time, since Jenna passed away in December so we were just starting to look. However, I am dreading if a tornado occurs and I am at school and Gypsy is stuck in her crate in my dad's room, which has a window facing her crate. Hopefully, my dad will be home, but he never really tells us when he is at the house or running errands. Sadly, here in Texas: underground shelters or basements cannot be made due to the water table and the clay.

#14 · (Edited)
Where is a good scientific study done when it is really needed, right? I think that it would be good study that the government (federal, state or city) could really use and it would sort of pay fot itself in the long run.

#15 ·
I did a lot of research before making my decision. Underground is hands down the safest but I did look into Oz and other above ground safe rooms. I can't image the noise if one was to get hit. I didn't like the underground floor garage ones so I went with the old fashion underground 'cellar'.

#16 ·
Well, I can say that when debris is hitting your house, it is REALLY loud. I thought any moment that the MINI Cooper was going to come flying through the front of the house. I don't ever want to go through that again. Ever.

Our garage is converted into a room, so we had to go with a regular outside underground shelter. It has a lifetime waterproof guarantee. It's 5 feet wide, 8 feet long, and a little over 6 feet high. It doesn't float - it's anchored into the ground. At this point, I just want to have a safe place to go. I'm tired of taking my life in my hands, camping out in my bedroom closet!

#17 ·
Yes I was just looking at the oz link, thanks Dogfaeries! There other day at work someone mentioned too with the in ground shelters in garages if your hot water tank is in the garage (like mine!) hot water could go into the shelter. Dont know if this is true, I never thought about that, but sounds possible!

#19 ·
I already know that I need to get a battery operated fan to keep down there. With possibly several people and a bunch of panting dogs (and a wailing Siamese cat) in one small area, it'll get hot fast. I swear when we are in the closet, I am a sweaty mess!!

I don't know about the hot water tank. It does sound potentially dangerous, now that I think about it.

#20 ·
I was in the may 3rd one. I remember the sound being real low and I could feel the pressure on my ear drums.

When a tornado comes I just hop in my car and head the opposite direction. The mall has tornado shelters and a covered garage for your car. I never understood why people hide in a bathroom if they know a tornado is heading towards them. That's a gamble I'm not willing to take.

#24 ·
We got the largest size...it is in the garage....I went through the May 3rd tornado....I was a senior in high school it did not effect me much.....May 20th last year was the worst day of my life.....I had my four babies in the hallway and all I kept hearing on the news is if you aren't below ground you won't make it....I said good bye to my babies and kissed them good bye...I prayed that god just take me but don't hurt my babies.....I felt like I failed my kids....the stress and anxiety of that day has unfortantly scared my kids.....they will never be the same.

#26 ·
I'm sorry you went through that nktigger. I would never wish that on anyone. I didn't have a storm shelter last year. We were in a small closet when it hit my house. I said goodbye to my babies too. I understand how you felt about letting them down. I'm just glad we all got a second chance to live with our fur babies another year. It scared me more than my dogs. My dogs just thought I was crazy for making them get in a tiny closet. People keep telling me it won't strike again in the same place but I'm not taking chances.

We got the largest size...it is in the garage....I went through the May 3rd tornado....I was a senior in high school it did not effect me much.....May 20th last year was the worst day of my life.....I had my four babies in the hallway and all I kept hearing on the news is if you aren't below ground you won't make it....I said good bye to my babies and kissed them good bye...I prayed that god just take me but don't hurt my babies.....I felt like I failed my kids....the stress and anxiety of that day has unfortantly scared my kids.....they will never be the same.

#25 ·
I will have to try the platform idea nothing else has worked. I have battery powered fans but am going to do one of these hand made bucket ac's. I think they would work great. A couple of buckets, ice, and a fan. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

Being in north Texas the risk isn't as great as Oklahoma but being from there and having been through tornados I still want to be prepared. When I was buying gear for it the guy at the store said 'what are you from Okla or something?' I said yes and we know how to prepare!

The problem here is their siren management. THey sound them for severe thunderstorms, hail and high winds. I contacted the county and told them they were setting up for a diaster because people don't pay attention to them (thinking it's just a t-storm). Some day it's going be a tornado and most won't have a clue. Oklahoma by far has the better weather people in the world. Here and in Missiouri (when I lived there) they just show the radar. They don't have the storm chasers like Okla where you actually watch the tornado on tv.

#27 ·
I agree completely GSDAlphaMom. Those tornado sirens should only be used for a tornado. They go off so often at my house that when they go off, I just go check the tv to see if there is really something going on. I only have one small handheld battery fan but that link you posted is very interesting. I also put a tub by the door to the garage with things that I will need to take down there and a note for things to grab, like their medicine and my purse, keys, etc. I spent last year helping one of my neighbors locate her purse.

I will have to try the platform idea nothing else has worked. I have battery powered fans but am going to do one of these hand made bucket ac's. I think they would work great. A couple of buckets, ice, and a fan. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg

Being in north Texas the risk isn't as great as Oklahoma but being from there and having been through tornados I still want to be prepared. When I was buying gear for it the guy at the store said 'what are you from Okla or something?' I said yes and we know how to prepare!

The problem here is their siren management. THey sound them for severe thunderstorms, hail and high winds. I contacted the county and told them they were setting up for a diaster because people don't pay attention to them (thinking it's just a t-storm). Some day it's going be a tornado and most won't have a clue. Oklahoma by far has the better weather people in the world. Here and in Missiouri (when I lived there) they just show the radar. They don't have the storm chasers like Okla where you actually watch the tornado on tv.

#28 ·
Wow it must be tough living there! I think I would go crazy worrying about tornadoes all the time. We do get some but not many. I think all homes should be built with a safe room though. Ours does not have one and we struggle figuring out the safest enclosed space without windows which is not many........probably under the master BR on the NE side of the house in a partially earth bermed room (walkout basement)......But we get nothing anywhere near to what you guys get.

#29 ·
I live in Kansas our shelter is below ground. I haven't had very good luck with it, there was a tornado and I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle the day I was supposed to go pick up Eko from the breeder. Last year we had another tornado and Eko would NOT go down. My boyfriend had to tug on the leash from below while I pushed up top. My pit was just a puppy then so I carried her down. After we got the all clear Eko wouldn't go back UP the stairs!

It's tornado season again hopefully we don't have to go down.

#33 ·
Tornados. Ugh. We are taught not to get in our cars and drive away from them. For a good reason. Look at all the people trapped in their cars during the May 31st one last year, trying to get away. I won't have my shelter this weekend when they are predicting bad weather, but I'm sticking it out here.

Belinda, we've been on the waiting list for an Oz safe room since the week after the tornado last year. They finally called us yesterday, after we decided to go ahead and get the underground shelter. So, an 11 month wait. I wish I could find a place to put the above ground shelter, but after looking at it for almost a year, we just can't figure out how to make it work. It would make it a piece of cake to load all these dogs in the shelter! We don't have the traditional big square Oklahoma backyard. I live in the zero lot line neighborhood, with our long, narrow L-shaped yards. So, underground it is. According to Gary, we all need to be underground anyway, LOL.

#35 ·
I'm glad you finally got a shelter. If I can train my big babbies to get down there, then you can too. Were you able to get one of those shelter rebates? I am technically OKC and I applied for one but didn't get it. My shelter is in the ground in the garage not outside. I didn't think the outside one would work for us. My dogs won't go out in the rain. LOL

Tornados. Ugh. We are taught not to get in our cars and drive away from them. For a good reason. Look at all the people trapped in their cars during the May 31st one last year, trying to get away. I won't have my shelter this weekend when they are predicting bad weather, but I'm sticking it out here.

Belinda, we've been on the waiting list for an Oz safe room since the week after the tornado last year. They finally called us yesterday, after we decided to go ahead and get the underground shelter. So, an 11 month wait. I wish I could find a place to put the above ground shelter, but after looking at it for almost a year, we just can't figure out how to make it work. It would make it a piece of cake to load all these dogs in the shelter! We don't have the traditional big square Oklahoma backyard. I live in the zero lot line neighborhood, with our long, narrow L-shaped yards. So, underground it is. According to Gary, we all need to be underground anyway, LOL.

#38 ·
We are lucky enough to have a basement and to not be exactly in tornado alley, but I still fear tornadoes like nothing else. If you have a ladder down to your safe room, could you try some kind of sling or lowering harness to get the dogs down? With multiple animals it might be time consuming though, and more time sure isn't available when those storms hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.