German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - 5 month old pup was traumatized by a neighbors dog. Very scared of other dogs now.
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
ajm227

Default 5 month old pup was traumatized by a neighbors dog. Very scared of other dogs now.

Hello, I have been reading all the helpful information here since I got my girl Sadie in January. She is the 4th GSD that I have owned. Nothing like this has happened with any of my others so I am at a loss of what to do.
My husband and I were out on our nightly walk with her last week. One of my neighbors was welcoming visitors to their home. All of a sudden their dog bolted out of the front door and ran at Sadie full force and pinned her to the ground. My husband was able to get the other dog off and keep it away until the owner got it back in the house. The owner ran back into the house after him.
Since this happened Sadie is extremely fearful of other dogs. She runs away from them yelping if they approach her. Before this happened she was eager to play with other dogs.
I have been taking her to the dog park to get her socialized again. She will start to relax and play but then all of a sudden she is scared again. Is there anything else I can do to help her get over this fear? what should I do when she is running and yelping?
She is great around people. She listens really well, walks good on the leash and does all her basic commands really well.
ajm227 is offline   Reply With Quote