German Shepherds Forum banner

Injured Dog go on walks? NOT GSD

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Jax08 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

My parents are out of town on their 30th wedding anniversary, and my little sister was dog sitting at their house. Long story short, the two females got in a NASTY dog fight. Their older pit mix is now in my home relaxing while I do wound care on her.

This is not her home and she is stressed! The only thing I know how to get a hold on a dogs stress is to walk them and this is where I need some input. Part of her injuries is a "loose joint." The vet said they did not need any x-rays and that it was just tweaked funny in the fight. At home, it is loose and literally looks wobbly as she walks. If the vet is not concerned about it, do you think I can still encourage her to go on a little walk (around the neighborhood) just to get her out and moving?

If nothing else, anything to help make her feel comfortable? We have provided her safe hiding spot away from family life so she can rest....and for now that is all I have to offer her.
Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
Most people (myself included) stay away from giving serious medical advice, especially if there's no personal experience. Your vet is your best source of relevant advice, they've seen and treated the dog already. Call and talk to them and see what they say

I'm glad the dogs are ok and hope she heals soon, dog fights can be terrifying that's for sure

#4 ·
2 females fighting? Definitely don't take the dog you have with home until the parents are there, be sure they are aware of the fight. If this is a first fight, this may be the start of a battle.

I have never had to deal with something like this, but if I heard 'loose joint', the dog is walking funny.... I would want xrays if for nothing else but my peace of mind. Again, that is just me with no experience behind it.

#5 ·
Part of her injuries is a "loose joint." The vet said they did not need any x-rays and that it was just tweaked funny in the fight. At home, it is loose and literally looks wobbly as she walks. If the vet is not concerned about it, do you think I can still encourage her to go on a little walk (around the neighborhood) just to get her out and moving?
My girls got in a fight a few months ago. One is lame on one leg so off to the vet. They took xrays to see if there was any soft tissue damage. Her leg was SHATTERED.

Go back to the vet and ask for xrays.

#6 ·
If it were me I would have the dog on crate rest until the joint could heal. However, I would have asked the vet what they suggested for the dog. My vet usually states crate rest for most things.

#7 ·
Wow Jax! That is intense!!! :( I will get a hold of my parents and let them know. Now I am worried!! Poor girl! I did take her for a walk....yeesh...I hope it's not shattered.....making her walk..... :/....I will get a hold of the vet tomorrow too.....

She is definitely here until they get back. She actually has a really bad eye wound that needs constant attention. From what my parents said it is not their first rodeo, but will be their last (they are going to find a new home for the younger one, the one my sister still has at my parents).

Thank you guys for getting back...Jax....really glad you replied!

#8 ·
trcy, I asked the vet about walks and she said yes and no see how she feels, but our normal vet wasn't in.....so I wanted to get someone with experience...really I know I don't sound like I know what I am talking about...I am still learning a lot about different dogs and really appreciate having you guys here to help out with personal experience and what not. I know medical can be one of those can't really tell things, but I do appreciate what you all have said!

#10 ·
I'm glad you asked the vet. If your parents ok it, maybe take her back when the vet you usually see is there. You may want to get a second opinion.

One vet I went to said they thought Riley had a hairline fracture causing his limp. We went to an orthopedic vet and I was told the dog would not even be walking on it if it was fractured. It probably depends on the dog.

I hope the dog heals fast and just needs to rest her joints.

#9 ·
The larger bone acted as a natural splint so she could walk on it.

My vet has NEVER seen a break like this from a dog fight. He's seen dogs who were kicked by cows with less damage. The ER doc and the ortho were shocked too. So this is NOT a common occurrence. But since it happened to me, I know it's possible and I would rather have the xrays any day to make sure. She must have turned just right to cause that spiral fracture. The horizontal fracture at the top was caused by a bite by my shepherd. There were puncture marks on each side right at that break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.