Foreign body & Gastropexy Surgery
My new shepherd mix, Colt, was acting 'off' last night and I decided to take him to the emergency vet just to make sure he was okay. He wasn't showing typical symptoms for bloat or a foreign body (no vomiting or diarrhea, no fever, etc) but I could tell something was wrong. Long story short, his stomach was partially twisted and they ended up removing a sock from his intestines.
This morning was rough, but by 1pm he was hungry and eating baby food. He's eaten a few small meals of chicken/hamburger/rice/baby food and has drank some water. He is pretty out of it. He's currently on tramadol and famotidine, took his first doses of those at about 6pm.
He hasn't pooped since about 11am which was just a few specks of very soft stool. I know that sometimes after anesthesia that's normal. He's been somewhat burpy but not enough to really concern me, although he did just spit up a little bit as I was trying to put on his cone. Other than that, no vomiting (and he's eaten small meals every two hours today). I think we're on the right track.
If any of you have experience with this surgery I'd love some advice. I'd definitely love to hear some encouragement and what was normal for your dog during recovery. Keep him in your thoughts, we're not out of the woods yet!