German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Biting/Nipping at hands
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Harry and Lola
Elite Member

With the puppy nipping, I put Vicks Vaporub on my hands, ankles, leads - anything that I don't want them to chew. The smell is really horrible to them and will stop them from biting, you can then use a command 'no' or 'leave it' and when she does not bite - praise her telling her good girl.

There are plenty of posts here about puppy nibbing - it is important to remember by nipping you, she is learning bite inhibition from you, this is something she would of already started learning with her littermates and from another dog if had one. It is important you teach her this is not acceptable and by biting hard on you, then the consequences are that you walk away and leave her, she will eventually work it out with good training from you, but try the Vicks as it does stop them. Just do not put Vicks on your puppy or make her lick or eat it.

With waking up at night, either ignore it or put her back to her bed with no sound, praise or fun from you and then go back to bed - ie make the fact she is waking up in the night really boring for her.

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm

Last edited by Harry and Lola; 04-20-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote