German Shepherds Forum banner

Pano worse in other leg

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  KZoppa 
#1 ·
Finally the Pano seemed under control but now his other, right, leg is affected to the point that he is limping severely and sometimes lies down because of it.
He never had so much discomfort in his left leg. Is this normal? Does it mean it will last longer than the left one?
He is being monitored by the vet.
Metacam doesn't do anything and neither does the herbal supplement. It is so sad to see him struggle through the most fun period of his life. I am hesitant to get stronger painkillers.

#3 ·
Gunther isn't on painkillers, just anti-inflammatories. He's on Carprofen 75 mg. It works really well with him and he was in as much pain with his as yours seems to be now.

#5 ·
Kaleb's started when he was about 5 to 6 months. At one point he had it in his front and hide leg. He hobbled around. We tried many things to ease his pain. We gave him some rimadyl on really bad day. We did try the herbal stuff too. It didn't seem to help. My breeder told me to get his weight down. He is by no means heavy, but the more weight they carry the more the struggle with the pano....when they have it.

He's 10 months now and much better. It seems we're over the worst of it. *hopefully*

#7 ·
One of mine started with pano when he was 3 months and had it more or less until 1.5yrs. He did not tolerate the anti-inflammatories and stopped eating on them. It was sad to watch him in pain. But they do get better. His brother, same litter, same food, never had a problem.

#8 ·
Gunther has days on his that he doesn't want to eat his kibble. I crumble up crackers, pour broth over it, tear up lunch meat, or toss in some crumbled hamburger in the bowl. He eats it all up in one sitting. He feels it's a special treat for taking his medicine and I feel better because he ate. Wow, that's a long time for pano! Your boy grew fast! Also, OP, not sure if it applies to every situation but my vet told me to cut his puppy chow half and half with adult food to reduce the amount of protein he was eating. I've chosen to cut it more adult this second time around but that's only because of his pano spreading to his hip and I'm over cautious.

#9 ·
Dax has bouts of pano since he was about 6 months old. He's 13 months old now and just had another flair up. Hopefully this will be the last bottle of rimadyl I have to get refilled. Originally he was thought to have a sprain because it was triggered from him trying to do a flying tackle off the couch at Shasta. She saw him coming, moved, he landed pretty hard. He was later xrayed to determine if there was a break or if it was pano.

With Dax, pano doesn't slow him down. Least this recent flair up hasn't. It can affect one limb or multiple limbs at one time. I usually keep him on the rimadyl for a couple days past when he stops limping to help keep the inflammation down. When I take him off it, I don't allow any strenuous activity for about a day to watch him and see how he's doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.