German Shepherds Forum banner

GSDs with smaller dogs

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  nktigger99 
#1 ·
How many of you have GSDs with smaller dogs? Perhaps a chihuahua. We have Abby who will be 13 weeks old tomorrow and a friend of mine is trying to find a foster for a male chihuahua. I am considering it but wanted some input first. He is around a year, fixed and fully vetted. He has liked all other dogs he has been exposed to and loves kids. It would be at least for a few weeks....maybe longer. He has been in foster care for a few months so I think I am getting a trueish idea of how he is. We would meet up outside of our home to see how they are together before making a decision. Any input?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
To me that's a big negative my German Shepherd is a handful with my Jack Russell terrier who is seven Bella the German Shepherd female is 16 weeks I wouldn't do a Chihuahua I'm sorry. The paws on the Chihuahua or so frail but you'll end up with a broken leg in a little bit of play time it'll be a nightmare in my opinion and my jack Russell does not like Chiwawa's at all..

#4 ·
I wouldn't recommend it either. My rat terrier gets bowled over in play time sometimes. Two days ago it happened and he stood up and held his leg up. It was sore for a few minutes but wasn't seriously hurt. He's only 11 pounds to Gunther's 75.

#5 ·
Here's my 11 month old with a Chihuahua we are fostering. My opinion is to know your dog. Is it good with other dogs or no? My dog is really gentle with dogs of all sizes except dominant dogs. Sometimes he gets too hyper and plays too rough and I have to pick the Chihuahua up. Other than that he really could care less that another dog is in the house. He has full roam of the house while the Chihuahua pup is crated.I think big dogs know full well to be gentle with smaller dogs. Whether they choose to or not is a different story.

Chihuahua bothering german Shepherd - YouTube

German Shepherd Chihuahua - YouTube

#6 ·
On second thought, let me explain my former reply more thoroughly. If you're worried about aggression, that has not been an issue with Gunther and Cyclone. If you're worried about accidental harm during play, it's really just about being vigilant while they are playing and not leaving them alone too often or at least stepping in physically or with commands when it gets too rough. I wouldn't discourage it completely, just be aware of both dogs temperaments before proceeding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.