German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Proud yet still have questions
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ellimaybel
Master Member

Default Proud yet still have questions

Gunther has spent the past two days training with me on staying on command. It's going really well and I'm proud of him. Yesterday he broke the stay 7 out of 10 times. Today, only twice but immediately sat back down when I gave the command. I spent some time with treat rewards but mostly toys. My issue is that the training isn't sticking when I'm not in training mode. When we are playing and he brings me the toy back he doesn't release it on command unless I'm redirecting with another toy. He does it perfectly when we are in training mode, just not play mode. What am I doing wrong? Is it just too soon to expect both or should I make every play time a training session until he gets it? He really only does this with his football and tire so should I remove those toys until we are done with training? Again, in training mode, he will sit with either of those toys right by his side and ignore them completely and focus only on me and my commands. This may have rambled on a bit but I'm distracted with his face in front of my screen and trying to cover every bit of information.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you ever tried.
Ellimaybel is online now   Reply With Quote