German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - GSD having trouble adjusting to new relationship
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
bbishop

Default GSD having trouble adjusting to new relationship

Hi. I'm new to this forum and joined so I can get some feedback on my GSD's behavior.

Background: My GSD is almost 2.5 years old. I recused her when she was 13 months and her and I live alone with 2 cats. She has a lot of anxiety, which stays under control with routine. New environments and situations are difficult for her and she constantly tries to control them. Other than that she's a sweetheart, loves people, listens to me, and listens to others after they've proven they're worthy of her respect.

The problem: I'm in a new relationship. She has liked this guy since she met him, but now that him and I are getting closer she's starting to act up. Pee'd in his bed last week, then on the floor the next day (she has never pee'd inside). When he stays the night she has started barking every hour (this is new, he has stayed the night before without this happening). She is not allowed upstairs at night (because of the cats) and I think she's having trouble understanding why he's allowed upstairs and not her. He has a Jack Russel and they follow the same rules when they're together.

Does she just need time to adjust to this new relationship? Or is there something I can be doing to help her adjust to our new pack order?
bbishop is offline   Reply With Quote