German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Three breeds, three different pathes!
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Skye~

Default Three breeds, three different pathes!

Greetings, all For my next pup, we will be getting into Schutzhund (First time) may i add, I have good experienced with 2 out of the three breed's!

The Rottweiler: My mother's friend owned one, when i was younger we lived with that man, i was a kid, around 8 or so.. And in the summer we stayed there i managed to train that fine dog to do ALOT by average standards, *also considering i was a kid*

German Shepherd: We currently own one right now and have managed to do alot of advanced training with her, she's currently three ( She is part Rottweiler) HOWEVER, the dog's parent's where from the police station and the Male managed to get into the females cage and had some fun She completely takes after the GSD's i've had experience with from other's dog's (met some working dog's)

And lastly the
Malinois/Dutch shepherd: Not much experience with these breeds but i've interacted with them before and have been over at a friend's house who owned 2, not working lines but it had a temperament suited to what the breed was (he had a Dutch and a Malinois)..

Now, for a first time trainer i'm thinking more the lines of GSD/Malinois, perhaps more so the GSD, because people call them "Good ol' reliable"

However i admire the way the Malinois works it seem's to possibly suit my personality more. I have ADHD, I always like to be moving, therefore i could provide the exercise needed for a Mal, and i've become a decent un professional trainer.. However once i get into SchH3 i hope to fix up my flaws in training. That leaves a Negative for the Rottie however, i am concerned my expectations may be a little bit too much, a Rottweiler compared to a Malinois (As i've witnessed) is like comparing a Pickup truck to a sports car, But they have that Childhood favourite of mine.
I am a personal trainer, so my hour's are a bit mixed up with how long i "work" a day, but once i get home i will be spending just about the rest of the night with whichever of the three breed's i get.
I've been gravitating more toward's a good Czech line GSD,i want a dog that has drive, but not so much so that it basically breaks down in anxiety, or so little that it can't do what i want, both a GSD or a Mal/Dutchie can fit the bill better than a Rottweiler.
Any questions/ opinions would be greatly appreciated.. I want to make the best choice!

Thanks guys, greatly appreciated, sorry for the very large text however.
We also have:
A big backyard
Another dog
Large house
Skye~ is offline   Reply With Quote