German Shepherds Forum banner

He doesn't like the vet...

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Colie CVT 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
He looks pretty relaxed/calm and accepting to me! ;)

Hopefully you're rewarding him a lot to make it a positive experience.

#11 ·
I'm not all that crazy about the vet but fortunately the place I go has really decent people there...so it keeps my attitude more "upbeat" which my pooch latches onto....but as far as hanging out at the vet's office for training and conditioning....no thanks....sickness abounds, I assume.

SuperG

#12 ·
I went to the vet every week for 4-5 months to use their scale. My dog loves the vet now. It was really positive because the trips where they've had to do annoying or painful procedures is like 2 out of 50 times we've walked in

#14 ·
The scale thing is actually a very common issue. Have they tried to put a towel on the scale? If it is just the black mat, or just a silver scale, it usually causes dogs to be nervous about stepping onto it. I imagine that it looks like a black hole they will fall into.

The general practice I work at placed a towel under a clear top that was given by some company for some product (I look at the thing every time I'm there but I can't tell you off hand what it is lol) and we have had far less issues with dogs refusing to get onto it. :) My kids all have the command "scale" when I want them to get on it, and they generally offer it lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.