German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Unsure what I am not understanding...
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mister C

As for #2, my female GSD was pretty aloof and only wanted very limited affection. Any more than a pet or two and she would stalk away in a huff. And I had to earn her affections in the first place. Haven't walked her yet? Yeah, you can forget touching her unless you are putting on her leash. After the walk she might permit some loving but not very much. She was a rescue that I adopted at 1 year of age. I worked on this issue for many years and she did become a little more affectionate when she was old.

As for #3, welcome to owning a GSD. They are too smart for our own good. They will study you all day long while hatching their next exploit. All I can say is firm, fair and consistent leadership.

I could teach my girl a behavior and she could do it really well but she was always testing for what she could get away with. Example: playing fetch she was taught to bring me the ball and put it into my hand. 100 times in a row she would do it perfectly. The one single time I slacked off and didn't demand the ball in my hand and now suddenly the rule has completely changed, of course to her advantage. Back to retraining... Dog outsmarted me again.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote