German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Who took my dog and left me with a maniac?!
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
gvalenti

Default Who took my dog and left me with a maniac?!

Background: We adopted a 3.5 year old GSD about 2 months ago and he's been a dream (albeit a little emotionally needy and dog aggressive at times). I know it takes dogs a while to let their true personality out after being adopted, but this is getting out of control.

This past Saturday he ate 6-8" of his harness including the plastic clip for which we had to go to the emergency vet to induce vomitting. Since then he's gotten into the garbage 3 days in a row (both bathroom and kitchen) which has taught us to never leave him alone with access to those things, and tonight he ate a whole bag of chicken thighs we had defrosting on the counter. 12 of them!As well as a large pile of napkins he threw everywhere.

We exercise him daily, try to take him to different parks and such to let him run around and we try to mentally stimulate him with training and games.

Do we return to crating him while we are away? Forever? Is there anything else we can do while we are with him to help get him back on track?

Please help! Any advice appreciated. I'm sure we've somehow contributed to his negative behavior, and I'd like to know what we can do to make everyone happier.
gvalenti is offline   Reply With Quote