German Shepherds Forum banner

Adding a second puppy doesn't change you life that much?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  VDAL 
#1 ·
I didn't know where to add that Tread, here or to puppy place :D
This Saturday it's a high chance we will get our second puppy( 9 week male). We already have 3.5 year old female. She is a great dog, well socialized, trained, friendly. She met that puppy week ago and actually it worked nice, both had fun.
I know it's going to be a work again: training, socializing, etc. but besides that(and money) is that bringing a huge life change? Did you guys has to make a lot of adjustment? Is it much harder to have a two dogs that you would like to come back to one dog?

#2 ·
It is double the work, you know have to fill the expectations of two dogs rather then one. So you play 30 minutes of fetch with one dog, the first one is all tired and happy and then round 2 starts with the next one. Same with training, you need to train each seperately and then together. All expenses are increased as well

In the end if you're willing to put in the time, it's well worth it. Both my dogs fill different needs and are treasured companions. I'd get a third in a heartbeat if I had the space, but 3 would be my personal limit. I'd love a female GSD and Delgado would love a companion to play with on a daily basis ;) lol

#4 ·
Adding a second puppy is a TON of work, at least for quite a while. Having two adults, not so much, depending on what you want to do with them... but the first many months is a huge change. Making sure both dogs get training and exercise time separately, monitoring their together time when the pup is smaller, being on top of the puppy 100% of the time when they're not crated... it's a lot of work. If both dogs will be sport dogs, that crazy level of works continues into adulthood. If not, then it sort of mellows out. The dogs I have right now, the adult is a pet only while the puppy is a sport prospect, so the adult doesn't require nearly as much work and training.

#5 ·
Depends on what you do with them. If they are house pets, like mine, then no I don't think its much harder. (more expensive yes, harder no) I have 5.

The only time I've been back down to just one, after Shadow died, not only was my Buddy miserable being the only dog, we were sad with just one too. We like having dogs around.

#6 ·
Its odd. Getting a second dog was a huge adjustment. Getting the third and the occasional fourth(rescue foster) is not as bad. Your original dog is older, better set ways and where your want her. So that makes it easier. I think its a great time to add a new dog. Right now all my dogs are about 3-4 years apart. I think thats perfect.

But remember to not forget your older dog. The puppy will need lots and lots of attention. Make sure you dont forget your adult girl. She is going to need one on one time, training and love as well.

#7 ·
The reason why I asked was that I was stressed out to get first dog. I was afraid of life changes(like you can't go everywhere, you need to pick hotels that accepts dogs or find kennel, rush home to take your dog out), but it didn't affect me that much. It was I will say 3 smooth years. Obedience training I did at home(one hour a day), we also train Nose Work(one hour a week)at school, we have trials 2 times a year. I'm planning to sign her also for tracking. We don't have kids, so I have time after work. We love riding on ATVs so she always goes with us to our friends cabin and we keep her when we are on trail. She loves traveling.We can let her out to run freely and she will not run away. So I never felt like I have a dog, I felt like a have a companion.
That's why I was wondering if the other can change that(we not talking influence of temperament ex. high drive puppy, cause this one is a high drive)

#9 ·
In the home, no I wouldn't say it was harder.. the training and puppy things, sure, but that's even with one pup. I would say it becomes a little more challenging when you travel.. finding hotels or friends to watch 2 big dogs vs one, was more difficult. I was also living alone at the time I had 2, so I can imagine it being a little easier with 2 or more people int he household.

#11 · (Edited)
I was exactly where you are now about the beginning of February. My Jack Russel Nelson who is seven years old seems to bark a lot and we thought that getting companion might quiet him down. I had three German Shepherd's many years ago and when the K-9 police dog in Philadelphia was killed it broke my heart and I wanted another animal. That was the deciding factor.

It's been about two months and it's been pretty difficult because you're bringing something new into the family and there's a lot of work involved I'm not going to say that it's not a walk in the park and I'm not going to sugarcoat it.

Be prepared for sleepless nights to wear your eyes seem like they're popping out of your head because the dogs needs come before your own especially if it's young puppy and 3 1/2 months cannot come quick enough to when things just begin to get a little easier.

Since I've had no health issues it's been easier and had I had any health issues along the way in the last 60 days I would be questioning my decisions.

I hope you have as good luck as I have had, and come out with a perfect little puppy to add to your family.

#12 ·
I personally do not think it is hard having a 2nd dog. Yes it's more money, more trips to the Vet, more time but it's not that big of a difference than having one dog to me.

I take my dogs everywhere I can, I either take them both or just take one but usually I take both.

I think it becomes tricky and more difficult when you add a 3rd dog to the mix.

#13 ·
Be prepared for sleepless nights to wear your eyes seem like they're popping out of your head because the dogs needs come before your own especially if it's young puppy and 3 1/2 months cannot come quick enough to when things just begin to get a little easier.
Like I wrote before I have 3 year old, so I have been through that :D
She gave me nice 4 nights, after two I have regret taking puppy :p
But I didn't expect that , so that's why it was a shock for me. Now I'm prepared cause I know what to expect.
I own a house, big yard, so they gonna have a plenty room for themselves.
My friends already agree that if need to they will take them if we have to go somewhere, but I'm planning this time if there is now problems to take them both(Went to Yellowstone 2 years ago and saw so many owners with the dogs that is not even funny :) ).
My dog is already training fro NW3 level, but there is a class for NW1 just before her class, so I would just have to be an hour early. Also I'm planning to put her for tracking , but him maybe for obedience. In hour school they have plenty classes so I can work around my schedule.
Money wise? I do expect expenses, especially at the beginning. All these shots, check ups etc. , and yes I also take in consideration if there will be any health issues(it's a living creature , something will always come up).
It's a big transition from 0 to 1 dog but I think from 1 to 2 it's just double, but I would like to hear an explanation why it's "TON of work" or " 4x" more work? :D
I was a rookie, my first "own" dog when I got Nuka, but I've trained her by myself, by reading articles and trying to be responsible owner. Now I hear compliment that she is great dog(from trainers).The new one will be a challenge, cause maybe Nuka was an easy puppy (My friend said that I'm in due for bad puppy :p )
I'm seeing plenty of people having 2-3 dogs so I just thinking that this can't be that hard :D
I'm asking cause it's closer to the date to pick up the puppy and I'm getting scared, but the same thing I had when I got Nuka...cold feet

#14 ·
Adding a second companion dog was easy, a little harder adding a second IPO dog.

Going from 2-3, no biggie - but 3-4 seemed hard....after that 5 & 6 just slid right in like they were there the whole time! LOL

But honestly, I don't go anywhere that I can't take them all, unless my husband is staying home to look after them. Even then, I have to either take my Shepherds or find someone else to take them, as he cannot provide what they need exercise wise, even on a short term basis. So definitely something to think about, it is way easier to find someone to look after 1 dog, than 2. Although I have friends that will split them up and put them into 2 different homes to be looked after while they are away. Or better yet, get a house sitter!

Other than that, the obvious - double the training, exercise, vet bills, food etc. So I wouldn't say it is an easy undertaking, but since your girl is older, already established etc it won't be so bad if her training takes a back seat for a little while until you can get them both on a system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.