German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Anyone else with an extremely "praise" motivated dog?
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sarah~
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
Recently I've been noticing that Arya isn't food motivated like I originally thought, but praise motivated. Today I actually tried an entire training session using nothing but praise, and she did at least twice as well as she does when I normally work with her. She does love food, and good high value treats are still used when training something new, because they are a lot easier to use as "yup, good job", but for things she knows already and we're just working on, or even in conjuction with food, that excited praise and loving on her is really what she craves so desperately.

Just wondering if others have a very praise motivated dog. I know they're out there, just thought it wasn't as common in shepherds. (granted, my girl is a GSD mix, but yeah... ).
Eko is totally praise motivated, I've tried all kinds of treats even raw meat and he either looks at it for a minute then half heartedly takes it and spits it out or turns his nose up at it. When I use praise I have to be careful, if I sound too excited he starts making crazy moan/whine sounds, hops around and has even wet himself. His tail wags so fast his whole butt wiggles with it lol! Toys have worked too but nothing makes him light up after a command quite like a "good boy" or "yes!".