German Shepherds Forum banner

8 week pup on kibble and like to introduce raw

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  blackshep 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new here and from UK . I still have not set my profile yet properly but will do soon but glad to meet you all .

We are getting our pup in two weeks time he will be 10 weeks . We want to introduce her from kibble to raw . Do we do this gradually or do we go straight into Raw soon as we bring her home .

Also is there any basic and simple Recipe which is not to complicated we can introduce. Just a bit worried about bones and some meats giving it runny stool. Any advice is welcome please?

#3 · (Edited)
Question.

I fed my 8 week pup his first chicken neck on Friday night last week, and then two the next day (Saturday) in one sitting for a light meal during the day.

Later that night, he had a raw beef pattie made by uncle who has his Rottweiler on the same BARF vetsallnatural diet, and some biolac blue, and my pup had some issues. He barely ate any of the pattie - and needed to go throw up.

So, he threw up. And was real lethargic. He then did three VERY runny and VERY odorous poos. He went to sleep in between each and after them all for at least 4 hours, from 7 till 11:30. And when I woke him up just to see if he was alright, he was weak, groaning a bit, and needed to do a big wee and poo outside again.

So I went to the vet that night, worst case scenario I was worried it could have been parvo (that was all I was concerned about really. Can never be too careful when they havent had their (third) 12 week injection.)

But nope not parvo. After feeling him up around his stomach, and giving a rectal exam, the vet reckons he had a potential intestine obstruction - and after me telling him I had fed him raw chicken necks the day before and that day in question - he claimed it was most likely the chicken necks. Gave him two big injections, one was antibiotics, can't remember the other.

And then I went home. Next day, he seemed to be fine again, running around as normal, and has been ever since.

But my parents have been the naysayers also claiming that the raw chicken is not good for him and thats what caused him the tummy upset.

I don't believe it. What do you guys think?

#4 ·
You went way too fast too soon by introducing the beef just after a day or two -especially ground.

(I am not opposed to feeding ground by any means but when switching I suggest whole pieces -less surface area= less area for bacteria to grow. Ground provides a bunch of surface area for bacteria to grow and poop on. So on top of the system having to digest this new protein it also has to deal with the ^^bacteria load. I would avoid when initially switching if possible )

I digress, stick with one protein source (chicken) for a bit(1-2 weeks) then you need slowly introduce the next protein by integrating into meals not whole meals of the new protein. Once the second protein is introduced you can get some liver in there a again slowly. Hope this makes sense!

#5 ·
Hi everyone I'm new here and from UK . I still have not set my profile yet properly but will do soon but glad to meet you all .

We are getting our pup in two weeks time he will be 10 weeks . We want to introduce her from kibble to raw . Do we do this gradually or do we go straight into Raw soon as we bring her home .

Also is there any basic and simple Recipe which is not to complicated we can introduce. Just a bit worried about bones and some meats giving it runny stool. Any advice is welcome please?
Just for the ease of it, I use a commercial raw like Nature's Variety or Bravo when they're that small. It can be expensive, too expensive once they're around 4-5mos, but its not too bad when they only weigh 15Lbs or so. I saw this, but I don't really know what you have available to you.

Natural and raw food for dogs and cats | Natures Menu

#6 ·
Change straight over.

I was nervous at first about feeding bones and balancing the meals properly, so I started with a commercially prepared raw diet to get started. As I got more confident, I started to buy whole raw meat and do it myself.

But prepared meals can be an easy way to start. Most people start with chicken for a couple of weeks.

If you do it yourself, go easy on the organ meat at first, and build up to the proper amount. It can cause loose poop until they get used to it.

If poops are too runny, feed more bone and less muscle meat. If they are dry and crumbly, feed more muscle meat, less bone.

After a couple of weeks if all goes well, you can introduce a new protein source, most people go to turkey next.

Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch

Good info on that site, she is a member here.

You want to feed 50% muscle meat, 45% raw meaty bone, 5% organ meat (I've had people tell me 5% and some say 10%, so I go for something in between that range).

Or I've also seen 80% muscle meat, 10% bone (straight bone, not raw meaty bone), 10% organ meat.

The only thing is the organ meat percentage that people can't seem to agree on, I've found.

Vets are always trying to scare people away from raw, so I wouldn't let that scare you. My dog gulped down a big piece of duck neck without chewing it and she had no problems digesting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.