German Shepherds Forum banner

What exactly is considered 'training'?

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Zeeva 
#1 · (Edited)
I've read that training isn't teaching your dog a bunch of circus tricks but I kind of disagree. To me, training involves getting your pup to listen and if that means engaging them in circus tricks then that's a fine form of training.

What do you think? Is training always meant to be serious and focused? My pups get mentally tired even after our circus tricks routines. And, isn't that one of the main points of training; to mentally challenge them and wear them out?

Is this considered 'training' to you?
Having fun - YouTube

Don't you love how Zeeva places herself in a corner and waits patiently for her 'turn'...

#6 ·
I teach my dogs to shake, or rather hand me their paws, so I can wipe them off.

I think you are having fun teaching your dogs stuff, and they are having fun too. I would certainly consider that training.

#8 ·
I taught Rusty "help me" which means just that. He will bring a towel to me when I get out of the shower, pick up sticks in the yard & lay them in a pile started by the fire pit, carry a light laundry basket, my purse a grocery bag.

My goal was for him to earn his keep in our home! lol

#10 ·
I train commands first tricks later. The tricks are not important to me. I don't care if they give paw or not, but I humored the trainer and trained it. Robyn's command for paw is pound it and I think that is cute. I might be willing to train the younger golden some tricks because he is a super fun dog and it fits him.

#15 ·
So cute. Love how patient and attentive Zeeva is. (Frodo can't stand his human family giving attention to any other dog. )

Why not tricks? Its a fun way to ask the dogs for behaviors( I am sure it is bizarre for them - the things we ask - but not as bizarre as heeling), they are calm and obeying and obviously happy.

#16 ·
What do you think? Is training always meant to be serious and focused? My pups get mentally tired even after our circus tricks routines. And, isn't that one of the main points of training; to mentally challenge them and wear them out?
You're getting the dogs to do what you want them to do, when you want them to do it and at the same time, you're keeping them mentally stimulated. I'd call that training. Besides that you and the dogs are having fun...that's what owning a dog is about. :)

#21 ·
I just watched the video and I think its awesome how they wait their turn and don't crowd each other during training:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.