German Shepherds Forum banner

How much did your puppy grow after 6mos old?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jsca 
#1 ·
Trying to figure out how much more my pup is going to grow. She's a 50% GSD mixed with ??? so trying to guess her adult weight as an 8 week old pup was near impossible, but now that she's 6 months old I figure it'll be easier to get a good estimate.

Today she's just under 21" at the shoulders and around ~41 pounds.

Looking at the breed standard, I suppose she is right at the shorter end of the spectrum for a female. Seems weird to me as she's a pretty medium sized dog, around knee height. I know a lot of GSDs are being bred towards a larger spectrum right now, but I'd be kind of shocked to see a purebred female as small as her!

How much more did your GSD grow between 6mos and 1 year?

Here's a picture of her...just because :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems hard to give an educated guess. Weight could vary some within the 'breed standard', then you have the unknown mix involved. Any dogs poundage can be up or down depending on diet, exercise, and how and what the owner fed longer term.

When we got our female G. S. pup the breeder said she should be 68-73 lbs as an adult, with ideal weight. That's rather exact, I'll see if we get there. She is just over 4 months and was about 32 lbs at the Vet the other day.

#3 ·
Cafall easily doubled in size. He's 18mos and still deepening out in the chest a bit. Depending on the breeds in her genetics she may still have quite a ways to grow. Cool looking dog though!

#4 ·
Thank you! I'm expecting her to maybe fill out by two years at around 55-60lb, maybe. I am hoping she grows a little more, height wise. If not, we love her regardless. I am very glad though that she inherited the german shepherd genetics for her temperament, being a mix I know it was a roll of the dice and that it wasn't something I could count on but I was definitely hoping for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.