German Shepherds Forum banner

Should I question Atlas's paternity??t

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Atlas2014 
#1 ·
He did not come from a good breeder. I didn't know she wasn't one until she told me to come get him at 5 weeks because his mom was not feeding him. She had him on crap dog food and probably table food too. So I rescued him. He has puppies to be around. I know his mom was a purebred GSD his alleged father was a black/tan purebred. My vet first said he might be a mix. Then she said no he may be a purebred. Here is a couple pictures! I love him either way but I always wanted a GSD just want some experienced opinions. He is 7 weeks old.
Thanks
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Mammal Vertebrate Facial expression Snout Canidae
Vertebrate Dog breed Dog Canidae Mammal
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae
Dog Canidae Dog breed Black Puppy

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
He did not come from a good breeder. I didn't know she wasn't one until she told me to come get him at 5 weeks because his mom was not feeding him. She had him on crap dog food and probably table food too. So I rescued him. He has puppies to be around. I know his mom was a purebred GSD his alleged father was a black/tan purebred. My vet first said he might be a mix. Then she said no he may be a purebred. Here is a couple pictures! I love him either way but I always wanted a GSD just want some experienced opinions. He is 7 weeks old.
Thanks
View attachment 197481 View attachment 197489 View attachment 197497 View attachment 197505 View attachment 197513

Just from looks its impossible to tell. I don't see any glaring reason to doubt it, but it will take some time to be able to know anything and even with age it may be impossible to be 100% sure. The good news is he's probably at least 50% gsd and cute so far. Enjoy your new pup and don't worry about it unless you'd only accept PB.

#3 ·
Did she give you the paperwork?

If she did, the puppy looks GSD, I see no reason to doubt it. It is all water under the bridge now. You brought the puppy home, and it is yours, papers or not, pedigree or not, purebred or not.

It's a cute puppy, and at this point it looks all GSD to me.

#4 ·
he looks about on point to me for a 7 week old. I visited my pup every week at the breeder since week 5 and I'd say he looked pretty spot on with this guy. And she was a pretty solid breeder, and i've got pedigree and full akc registration. And dont worry about what the vet says. A lot of times, i've noticed vets may know how to treat and take care of DOGS but dont always know a lot about BREED. A good human doctor can probably save the lives of both a chinese and a korean person.. but also not be able to tell you which is korean and which is chinese. (dont rage on me for racism please, im korean, just an example. haha) just enjoy him!

#5 ·
You should of gotten a litter #, run that through AKC and you should get all,the info you need. Looks pretty good until the last pic, time will tell you need that litter number to be sure.

#6 ·
What paperwork/what AKC? The dog is from a person who bred her dogs, who knows if they had any registered pedigree.
Purebred doesn't equal papers with pedigree. Just that they aren't mixed with other breeds.
Your puppy looks like it is from two German Shepherd Dogs. I would focus on the temperament and confidence and hope the health is good too. The breeder probably didn't provide you with any hip or other health information on the parents?

#7 ·
The reason I asked, is because in the US anyway, the only way to ensure, the dog is purebred is with AKC paperwork. Of course paperwork from other country's main kennel club is ok too, though unlikely in a situation where people are nervous about paternity.

And, breeders can be mistaken, or let their bitch be bred by a marauding male where they did not realize it ever happened -- hard sell, but I guess it happens. So paperwork is not a guaranty, but without it, there is no way to really say the dog is purebred.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. When I first went to view and put the deposit down she said they would be AKC registered. Then something happened with the mom dog not getting the papers in the mail. I'm sure the mom was a GSD. By the time I started to have doubts I was already in love with Atlas. So far his temperament is great except for with feet. He can't get enough of nibbling on toes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.