German Shepherds Forum banner

I feel terrible.

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Kayos and Havoc 
#1 · (Edited)
I threw a rather large stick for tyson in the rain, I was wearing my hood and in the process of swinging it to let it go I connected it right into his skull. He cried and started bleeding. Then I burst into tears and it was bad times. I feel awful. He has a small cut above his eye, it does not appear to be sonething the vet would need to stitch.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#4 ·
Been there done that. Hit my very first dog in the head with clackers. That was 35 years ago and goofing around with my Boxer running in and out of the house closed the slider and she smacked into!

Boxer seldom watch where they are going both times I felt horrible but they forgive you. It just kinds sucks for all involved but your not alone. :)

#7 ·
I bet he will forgive you but he might not stand so close when you start swinging a stick.

I once threw a kong and as my dog chased it down it took a weird bounce and smacked her right in the mouth. She never went near a kong again. I felt guilty about it.

#9 ·
Try not to over-react when something like that happens. Say, oops, gotta watch that boy, in a matter of fact tone. I know it's hard, but they are tough, and if it is just an accident they will be over way before we will. If we start crying or get all nervous, then we can cause the whole situation to be that much worse.

Today, I banged a bucket right on one of their heads, made a good noise too. I just said, "hey, ya gotta watch." Dog ran around and was perfectly fine -- didn't phase her. And even if I suspect an injury, my first response is usually matter of fact, and ignore it. Then, after a minute or more (depending on how bad it seemed to be), I will call the dog over and look at it. Because, especially when there is an injury, the best thing for the dog is to be calm. So the dog needs us to be calm for him.

This is actually good for small children too. Try not to panic. Try not to panic. I had Babsy at the park with the little girls, and they were on the big climby thing, and I had just finished brushing Babsy out, and was walking toward the climby thing, when one of the girls fell off the top of the slide portion. She fell like a ton of bricks onto her stomach into the wood chips.

Try not to panic, try not to panic! Be calm for the girls!

#12 ·
No different when two dogs are playing rough and one gets injured. They yelp and might sulk a moment and then continue to play.

We always feel much worse than the dog ever could. And the dog always forgives. Always.

#13 ·
I've got one for you! We live in Florida and generally the sliding door into the Florida room is open. When Traveler was a pup we had a big strip of blue painters tape at his eye level. After a couple of years, my DH took it off thinking we didn't need it any more.

BAM! Traveler goes face first full run into the glass. Traveler looked surprised and didn't want to be near me for an hour or so but that was the extent of his attitude. I cried like a baby for hours.

After DH ran into it himself, he decided to put the tape back on the glass:rolleyes:

#14 ·
I've smacked Hunter in the mouth with his training ball before... he made a tiny yelp but was more concerned with me throwing the ball then the fact it kinda hurt. He forgave me in less than one second, so it's okay... haha.

#16 ·
I remember when my kids were little, I was teaching them how to skip stones
across the pond, when my little guy stepped right in front of me. well he got it right in the noggin (blood everywhere). So I know how you feel, he left screaming not because it hurt, rather he didn't want to leave the park, lol. accidents happen, nothing you can do about it, so hang in there :)

#18 ·
This is where I put in my plug for NOT throwing sticks. I personally know too many dogs who have had trips to the dog ER due to sticks. (having it penetrate their throat or roof of the mouth)............

I also don'w throw around trees anymore either. That one cost me $1000 and the top row of incisors. FWIW, dog kept wanting to play ball with blood pouring out of his mouth.

#19 ·
I got halfway through this thread going, Okay, is my dog secretly stupid, does she not feel pain? - but it must be because I always react with a "whoooopsie daisy!"

The worst that's happened was when I went through the front door to the complex and popped it open like I normally do so that it stays open for, I don't know, 10-15 seconds for Hildy to get through. I walked through, popped it open, moved on to next door - apparently she'd started focusing on something outside and started to try to come in at the last second and before I'd had a chance, the door had whacked her on the head. That's why we walk in heel, Hildy. :rolleyes: She looked at the door a bit suspiciously the next couple of times but that was all.

#21 ·
Awww poor you guys! I know you do feel bad but it happens and he will recover. My Kayos is 11.5 and I think this is old dogs becasue every old dog I have had does this.

It seems they want to step into the path of the ball when I throw it. I wonder if they do not see as well adnndo not want to miss it. I have beaned her with a ball more times than I can count lately. I probably need to stop playing fetch with the others when she is out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.