German Shepherds Forum banner

Barking on Command!!!

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Traveler's Mom 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 24 week old pup, he picks up very well on commands, my biggest hurdle is trying to teach him to bark on command. I've tried the whole "get something that gets him very excited and say the command till he does the behavior". He LOVES the tennis ball and I bounce it around, try to get him excited and all that but he does EVERYTHING he knows (to try to get the ball) but he does not bark at all! I'm just lef tjumpign around saying the command trying to get him excited for about 35 minutes and to a certain point he just sits down and patiently waits. He barks rarely, only when he needs to (if he hears a weird noise outside or something, usually in the middle of the night). I really want to teach him how to bark on command, any tips? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Dial in and take advantage of the times he does bark.....

I'd do that with my pups and when they would bark I'd reinforce with "speak" and a hand signal like a duck quacking ( whatever hand signal you choose if any)......lots of egging on and all that good stuff....I'd bark with 'em to keep the excitement and barking going.....didn't take long....dogs do know how to bark...LOL
Seize the moment.......and make sure this is what you want.

SuperG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.