German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Help...inconsistent training methods between spouses.
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gretchen
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsdancr2000 View Post
Thanks for the input. I agree that we should be on the same page. He just started implementing these commands and I feel as if I was blind sided. When I asked him about it ( the "out" command) he told me that boris was smart enough to know that when "out" is said indoors it would mean leave leave room and "out" said outside would mean drop whatever is in your mouth. I just shook my head and walked away. Another example is when we were at pets mart for basic obedience. The trainer instructed everyone to use the "watch me" command. I have never used that nor has my hubby; I have used "look at me" based on advice from a guy who trains police dogs for a living that my hubby met with! I have honestly never observed my hubby using that command at all and I know we have been in the same room when I say look at me. He knows what command to use but at petsmart he had Boris sit and said " watch me"...... of course the dog didn't have a clue what was being asked and I was fuming cause my hubby does stuff like this all the time. This is a special dog and I don't want my hubby to confuse him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
This sounds frustrating. I wonder if your husband would respond better to training classes that were more active,, outdoors, some training that involved agility? Our previous trainer was an ex-police K9 officer, masculine but not macho. Maybe you need a trainer that will be firmer and command more of your husband, someone he will respect?
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote