German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - German Shepherds are a lifetime commitment
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
d4lilbitz
Master Member

German Shepherds are a lifetime commitment

I just saw a post on Facebook that really annoyed me. While I commend the owner for reaching out to a breeder (not sure if it's their breeder) for help in placing him....I think the owners should have put more thought into getting this dog in the first place. I see to many times people buy dogs in the moment and for some reason, they have blinders on and don't understand the dog will not stay this small. They have a short term thought process with the pet. These dogs can live to 13+ years. When getting the dog, you need to consider all the possibilities that could happen. If you're planning on a family, you need to consider how will this dog fit in, when vacationing...what will we do with the dog, any health issues...what then? As a companion/sport home it aggravates me. Seeing stories like this gives off the wrong impression to good breeders (sometimes) in placing puppies/dogs in homes with families. In reading this, it sounds like the dog is to much for them to handle. I feel bad for the dog. His owners failed him. I understand why some breeders refuse to sell a puppy to families for reasons like this and it's not fair to the good/responsible owners.

" Tito is just over 2 yrs old. Neutered, house and kennel trained...and has never eaten a single shoe. Walks great on leash, loves to play fetch and tug of war. Knows basic commands: sit, stay, down, go lay down, kennel, etc.
We'd like him to have more room to play and run. We have a 1 yr old toddler and another on the way and are rapidly running out of room and time to devote to him. Tito needs a strong leader and is probably not the right dog for a first time German Shepherd owner. He has a strong drive and a great ability to learn."

Deanna

SG Isen Vom Kavallerie AD BH CGCA TC (GSD)
Devka von der Felsenstadt (GSD)
Red CGC (GSD)
Gypsy BH CGCA (lab)

At the Bridge....Charlie and Shiloh

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome