German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - Has anyones dog had these symptoms?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mister C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornishbecky View Post
how is vestibular diagnosed?

He was only seen one week ago (for medication check) and everything was fine (except existing HD, new pannus diagnosis and cdrm)
Vet said to see what hes like in the am, to decide course of action.
I found this on how to diagnose. Vestibular Disease in Dogs | VCA Animal Hospitals

We didn't do radiographs so, to be honest, the vet wasn't 100% sure of the diagnosis but she seemed quite confident about it.

My non-vet understanding is that vestibular syndrome interferes with their inner ear and sense of balance. Imagine spinning yourself around 20 times--that really dizzy feeling that you get--I think it is like that but all the time.

So unsteady walking, standing, etc would be hints. So is nausea. My dog started with leaning to the left while she was in the cart. As it progressed she couldn't walk a straight line and would end up doing circles. Then she had trouble standing. Then the big event occurred where she got suddenly much, much worse with rapid eye twitching (left, right, left, right like she was watching the world spin) and total inability to stand. She was panicking at this point.

I understand that vestibular syndrome usually resolves in a short time and many vets take a wait and see approach.

For us it was a different story. I'll tell you the rest if you want but don't want to upset you.

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote